Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Lux W Europe # 9 Cologne



Love the train! Arrived in Cologne and taxied to the Hotel where I had plans to meet my good friend Katie (who is living in Germany for 6 months) and found her with her aunt Crista and cousin's wife Miriam in the lobby! After a mellow afternoon, Katie and I took the tram to her cousins' who coincidentally live up the road from our hotel. Had the best meal prepared by Miriam who studied cooking in Italy before heading off with Katie's cousin Markus to scout out their friend's roof and the 5 bridges over the River Rhein (luckily via car). The roof was a bit too low and after checking bridges on each end of the city I opted for the park beside the southern most train bridge. A great and different view from the rest with the slivery river moving into the shot and a sky line that includes a good looking suspension bridge all lit up and the famous Dom. An hour shot and lucky for no rain. PP strikes again! Thankful for Markus and Katie's generous help! A good time!

Night two, Katie and I asked for the 10th time if we might be able to use a room on the top floor of our hotel for a few hours to shoot and if ever hotel staff wanted to feed into the German stereotype for rudeness these guys were on it. After some negotiating in German (Katie is fluent) and English we progressed from access for 10 mins to 30. Enough to get something on the film and to strategize. After setting up speedily on the 12th floor I asked Katie if she would go down and give the head staff rude dude my postcard, explain I am an artist from New York, and ask for half an hour more. Katie rocked the acting skills and went down as my assistant offering my card as a gift and implied I was basically famous. She got me the half hour!! When I was finished I went down to thank them and ask about a taxi in the morning and the guy was an entirely different person, gushingly nice. So funny! 2 shots of Cologne!!

Next to Amsterdam...

No comments:

Post a Comment