Friday, September 22, 2006

Lux W Europe #7 Rome


Oh my god ROME! This place is crazy amazing. I'm sure for anyone that has been here you know what I mean but to explain further, down every cobble stoned alley you turn a corner and there is some monumentally unbelievable ancient structure. Trevi Fountain is not far from where I am staying and I cannot get over it. I am dumbfounded by this place at every turn and what a great city to wander through alone or with company...

I was a bit worried upon arrival that I would just not be able to figure out a way to shoot here. Mining my resources I met with Ezio Genovesi, a professor I had been emailing, who teaches part of the RISD Junior Year Honors Program in Rome, and Jan Baker, another faculty, who both offered some great suggestions including contacting the American Academy here (who apparently have an incredible view). No go with the Academy who needed more time to get me permission to access the building but further luck (Pink P?) offered me some help and I connected with my brother friends', Lila and Paulo's, friend Min. The generous and helpful native New Yorker, who recently moved to Rome to start a program in Industrial Design, was up for the random adventures my unique situation prompts. So we ate some great Italian food at a restaurant called "the Morgue" apparently because the tables are made of marble slabs, and then told a confused taxi driver to take us up to Gianicolo Hill, a beautiful park that looks out over the city. We found an empty slot on the Piazzle Girabaldi between many Italian lovers and took a foggy shot of Rome. Not sure how it will come out but have good hopes for it...Bed at 3am.
Covered the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, the Vatican and Sistine Chapel today. Not enough time. Fly to Berlin tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment