Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lux: W Europe # 2 Glasgow

A long lovely drive brought Neeta and I up to Glasgow, Scotland, from the small heavenly village, Hamstead Marshall, Neeta inhabits with her similarly helpful and generous husband Paul. A tired team, we ventured up into the Campsie Fells North of Glasgow, as seen here,


to scout out a spot for the first shoot. Having stayed too long in the fine company of our hosts for the night (family friends) it was already dark when we began. This both had it's advantages and disadvantages for reading the land and finding a good place to shoot. Finally, weary and a bit frustrated we stumbled upon a location. Cradled between sloping hills we found the west side of Glasgow spread before us with electric towers running their lines across the hills in front. I decided on a 2 hour exposure for the dim orange light of this industrial Scottish city starting at 11:30 and ending at 1:30am. In the weeds on the side of a surprisingly busy road for a Sunday night I set up my camera and Neeta's (which she lent to offer a second shot). Side by side they soaked up the light while we camped out in the car fading in and out of fitful naps in the cold damp night. At 1:15 I decided to cut the shot a little short and came to find dew had formed on both the lenses. Not good...I'll only know once the negatives are processed if they will be usable. A frustrating first night but who said it was going to be easy or fluid....A test I decided. A reminder I am not in charge... I have to work with and take what I can get. On to Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment