Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lux W Europe # 6 Milan

My arrival in Milan was a sharp contrast to the recent experience in Madrid. No cutoms and my bags were the first to spit out both intact and untouched. Must be the Pink Panther. On to a taxi straight to my 17 story hotel the Michelangelo. Arrived late at night and was booked into a room on the 14th floor. Unfortunately it looked out onto the dark side of the city. No, I'm serious, really dark... made me wonder how Milan had made the map...
Snuck around the hotel looking for possible alternate spots to set up and found a large outdoor metal fire escape\ staircase climbing the height of the building. It still only looked out over dark Milan. Standing out on the metal balcony on floor 17 a sideways drizzle started and I decided to call it a night. 12am. The next day I asked to change rooms and was placed in the perfect spot on the front corner of the 16th floor which offered 2 different views of downtown. One especially nice, looked out over the impressive train station and a giant piazza with Milan spread behind. After a run in the park and a lazy day recovering from Madrid, I stayed up until 2am trying 2 hour exposures for each of two shots to see if I can push the scenes a little. We'll see. Nervous to experiment but better to overexpose than under... [a photo chant]

BREAK: Off to Cinque Terre for 2 days on the coast between Genoa and Rome to relax.Then back to work. Rome next.

No comments:

Post a Comment